How to file a RTI for EPF withdrawal or transfer claim status?
EPF members always while leaving or switching companies get troubled in transferring or withdrawing amount from their EPF Account because it is a hefty time taking process. But now with the implementation of RTI act at wide range one can file a RTI application to get information within 30 days.
RTI not only expedite the process but also information seeker can get 100% information. We have already seen How to get you Income Tax Refund Status by filing RTI Application.
The steps to file RTI are:
Step 1- Buy postal order
- Visit a post office and buy a post order or money order of Rs 10 which is an application deposit fee.
- The postal order should be issued in the name of concerned EPFO Office.
- Say for example, for EPFO Bangalore, the postal order should be in favour of EPFO Bangalore.
Step 2 – Draft your letter
There is no specified format. One can write on plain paper. However, the name and contact details are mandatory. The letter should be addressed
Central Public Information Officer (CPIO),
Office of Provident Fund Commissioner,
Employees Provident Fund Organization
(Mention Concerned PF office address).
Important points to cover in your letter
- Mention your Name, PF Account Number, Full Address, Contact Number and your Email id.
- Better to write your queries in bullet points and see to it that they are precise.
- The letter should have a declaration -“I do hereby declare that I am a citizen of India. I request you to ensure that the information is provided before the expiry of the 30 day period after you have received the application”
- Make sure you mention the proof of payment of fees as such as “Attached Indian Postal Order for Rs. 10 /- dated dd/mm/yyyy favoring “Accounts Officer of EPFO” as application fee.
- Take a photocopy after drafting (in case you need further).
- Verify the amount of application in your state as it varies from state to state.
Step 3 – Send it by registered post
One has to send it buy only registered post as no courier is accepted. Make sure you ask for an acknowledgment copy.
Online Filing of RTI
Online filing facility is also available to resident Indians and NRI’s. For people who find it difficult to visit post office they can file it online with RTINATION. You can visit the website, fill the application form, download it, sign it, scan and send it back to EPFO office by ordinary post. Application fees are Rs 150.
Transfer case: May need two RTI applications
In case you have worked in two different offices at two different locations, you may need to file two different set of RTI applications. Say for example you have worked in Delhi and Bangalore, then you need to file an RTI first in Delhi and subsequently in Bangalore.
In case you don’t want to opt RTI way there is another way through which you can file your EPF Grievance Online @ EPF Grievance