How to File Income Tax Rectification online?
Any mistakes done while filing your previous tax returns online can now be rectified by making a request. After the processing of Income Tax Return by the Central Processing Centre (CPC), the Income Tax Department, an assessee can rectify e-filed Income Tax return online. Rectification can be done on any mistake or error apparent in the Income Tax Return filed.
Points to consider
Before applying see to it that you have received an intimation under section 143 (1) from CPC Bangalore for the E-returns filed by you for AY 2009-10 or later.
Carefully study the intimation to correct sent by CPC even though it differs from what you expected.
Review the Common Error guide and provided by many websites, where you file your returns.
Keep the changes that you so desire ready in a XML format. All mistakes should be corrected and schedules or fields left blank should be filled accurately as explained in the guide. The complete return should be filled including TDS and Tax payment schedules and not only schedules that need change or the fields that need correction.
Steps to File Rectification
1. LOGIN to e-Filing application and GO TO –> My Account –> File Rectification.
2. Select the Assessment Year for which Rectification is to be e-Filed, enter Latest Communication Reference Number (as mentioned in the CPC Order), and Latest CPC Order Date (as mentioned in the CPC Order).
3. Click ‘Continue’
4. Select the ‘Rectification Request type’ and enter details.
5. Upload the Rectification XML file.
6. Click the ‘Submit’ button.
7. On successful submission, an Acknowledgment number is generated and sent for processing to CPC, Bangalore.
Post processing, either the rectification order under Section 154 will be issued or the request would be rejected.
For Rectification and Refund- CPC : 1800 425 2229