Who Can Verify and Sign Income Tax Return?
Section 140 of Income Tax Act, 1961 specifies the person whose signature and designation is needed on the Verified Income Tax Return in order to make it a valid document. Any person making false statement is liable to be prosecuted under section 277 of the Act. Income Tax return is required to be signed and verified by the following category of persons –
In case of Individual
- By the individual himself
- By his guardian or any other competent person, in case he is mentally incapacitated to do so.
- Where he is absent from India, by an individual himself or by some person duly authorized by him on his behalf.
- If not possible by the individual to sign due to some unavoidable reasons, then by the person authorized by him in that behalf.
In case of Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)
- By the Karta of the family.
- By other adult member of family, if the Karta is mentally disturbed or is absent from India.
In case of Company
- By the Managing Director of the company.
- By the Director of the company, if the Managing Director is not able to sign due to unavoidable reasons or if there is no Managing Director in the Company.
- Company has been wounded up – If the company has been wounded up under the orders of court or where any person has been appointed as a receiver of any assets of the company, the income tax return shall be signed by the Liquidator of such company.
- Company management being taken over by Central/State Government – In such cases the income tax return shall be signed and verified by the Principal Officer thereof.
In case of Firm
- By the Managing Partner of the firm
- If Managing Partner is not able to sign, then by any of the partner of the firm, not being a minor.
In case of Limited Liability Partnership (LLP)
- By the designated partners of the Limited Liability Partnership.
- If designated partners are unable to sign due to some reason, then by the partner of the LLP firm.
In any other Case
- In case of Local Authority – by the Principal Officer of the authority.
- In case of Political Party – by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of such party whether known as Secretary or by any other designation.
- In case of other Association – by the member of such Association or the Principal Officer.