With effect from April 8, 2012, PAN applications are required to be furnished in the new forms prescribed by ITD.
A).Indian citizens will have to submit their ‘Application for allotment of new PAN’ in revised Form 49A only.
Foreign citizens will have to submit their ‘Application for allotment of new PAN’ in newly notified Form 49AA only.
With effect from April 1, 2012, fees for PAN application has changed to Rs.96. (For dispatch outside India Rs.962).
Following forms have been notified by ITD (w. e. f. APril 8, 2012) for submitting applications for allotment of new PAN:The new form is simple then earlier form 49A and easy to fill. The form also has column to fill AADHAAR number for the applicants who already own UID.
FORM 49A: – To be filled by Indian citizens including those who are located outside India.
FORM 49AA: – To be filled by foreign citizens.
B). Application for new PAN Card or/and Changes or Corrections in PAN Data: – Those who have already obtained the PAN and wish to obtain the new PAN card or want to make some changes / corrections in their PAN data, are required to submit their applications in the following form prescribed by ITD:
The same form can be used by Indian as well as foreign citizens.
A new PAN card bearing the same PAN but updated information is issued to applicant in such case.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILING REQUEST FOR NEW PAN CARD OR/AND CHANGES OR CORRECTION IN PAN DATA
- Form to be filled legibly in BLOCK LETTERS and preferably in BLACK INK. Form should be filled in English only
- Mention 10 digit PAN correctly.
- Each box, wherever provided, should contain only one character (alphabet /number / punctuation sign) leaving a blank box after each word.
- ‘Individual’ applicants should affix two recent colour photographs with white background (size 3.5 cm x 2.5 cm) in the space provided on the form. The photographs should not be stapled or clipped to the form. The clarity of image on PAN card will depend on the quality and clarity of photograph affixed on the form.
- Signature / Left hand thumb impression should be provided across the photo affixed on the left side of the form in such a manner that portion of signature/impression is on photo as well as on form.
- Signature /Left hand thumb impression should be within the box provided on the right side of the form. The signature should not be on the photograph affixed on right side of the form. If there is any mark on this photograph such that it hinders the clear visibility of the face of the applicant, the application will not be accepted.
- Thumb impression, if used, should be attested by a Magistrate or a Notary Public or a Gazetted Officer under official seal and stamp.
- For issue of new PAN card without any changes- In case you have a PAN but no PAN card and wish to get a PAN card, fill all column of the form but do not tick any of the boxes on the left margin. In case of loss of PAN card, a copy of FIR may be submitted along with the form.
- For changes or correction in PAN data, fill all column of the form and tick box on the left margin of appropriate row where change/correction is required.
- Having or using more than one PAN is illegal. If you possess more than one PAN, kindly fill the details in Item No. 11 of this form and surrender the same.
Status Track through SMS
The applicants may track the status of their application using 15 digit unique Acknowledgment Number after three days of application using the status track facility. Alternatively, applicant may call TIN Call Centre on 020 – 2721 8080 to enquire about the status of application. The status of the PAN application can also be tracked by sending an SMS – NSDLPAN < your 15 digit acknowledgement number > to 57575.
How Soon a PAN Card is Dispatched
Normally 15 days are required to process the application, provided application is found to be in order (25 days in case of CR).
Download PAN application form in EXcel and PDF
The Income tax department has introduced a new form in PDF format effective from November 1st 2011. Kindly use this form from now onward.
Form 49A free download
Form 49A in Excel format
Form 49A in PDF format
Form 49A in PDF (new applicable from 1st Nov 2011)
Instructions to fill form 49A
Form 49A instructions
Form 49A and filling instructions in PDF
PAN card correction form
Any document from the following is to submitted as proof of address and proof of identity. Only photocopy is to be attached along with form 49A
Proof of Identity
Proof of Address
School leaving certificate
Degree of a recognized educational institution
Depository account statement*
Depository account statement
Credit card statement*
Credit card statement
Bank account statement/bank pass book*
Bank account statement/ bank pass book
Property tax assessment order
Voters Identity card
Property tax assessment order
Voters Identity Card
Certificate of identity signed by Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly or Municipal Councilor or Gazetted Officer.
Certificate of address signed by Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly or Municipal Councilor or Gazetted Officer.
* Documents submitted, as proof of address for serial numbers 1 to 7 should not be more than six months old from the date of application.
- Those individuals / companies already allotted a ten-digit alphanumeric PAN shall not apply again, as having or using more than one PAN is illegal as per Income tax laws in India
- Other than this request for a new PAN card with the same PAN or/and changes or correction in PAN data can be made by filling up the form for ‘Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN Data’.